Monday 27 March 2017

Afternoon Delight @ Lena's Tea Room

No, the title is not an innuendo. I swear people must think all I do is eat! For Christmas last year Laurence and I got my mum a voucher for Afternoon Tea at Lena's Tea Room in Carrick On Shannon, and I was lucky enough that my mum decided to bring me with her seeing as it was for two people. I was making dying whale noises by the time we got there because I was so hungry - which was a good job because there was so much food.

I've been to Lena's Tea Room once previously so I had a fair idea as to what the food would be like, but I had no idea the Afternoon Tea would be so good. Mum told them on the phone before we booked that I was vegetarian and they were very accommodating. 


The Afternoon Tea came out after a short wait and it was presented beautifully on a 2-tier cake stand filled with sweet and savoury delights. There were the usual sandwiches (chicken and egg mayonnaise) but also some absolutely gorgeous treats I'd never seen in an Afternoon Tea before; grapes and cream cheese on homemade bread, roast vegetables and cream cheese on homemade cheese and chive bread, goat cheese and beetroot tartlets, and savoury cheese and tomato muffin bites. Everything was absolutely divine - I was so impressed it wasn't just a bog standard sandwich and scone affair, and the different flavours and textures made for such an interesting Afternoon Tea. 


Next, it was time for the sweet treats (the best bit!). We had scones topped with slivered almonds - with lashings of cream, jam and real butter, of course - fruit tarts, chocolate brownies, lime and coconut cake, and lemon drizzle cake. Honestly, I swooned with every bite, it was so good. I could've eaten another full cake stand full of the food - if I'd had any room left!


We were looked after so well by the staff and owner, and I just love the decor and ambience of Lena's - everything was perfect. It truly is a relaxing spot to grab a bite to eat and a cup of tea, or treat yourself to their Afternoon Tea - you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment